Monday, February 8, 2010

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

My brother sent me this book for my birthday, which was last Friday. As soon as I unwrapped the package, I cracked open the book and started reading the first chapter. Now I'm about half way through it, so I guess I'm reading it, even though I'm not done with True Compass yet. I often read quick fiction books while I'm reading longer, more time consuming non-fiction because I'm such a slow non-fiction reader. The suspense and escapism of fiction holds me to the story and keeps me pushing forward, but the facts and ideas in non-fiction cause my brain to head out on long tangents so that I often find myself staring off into space wrapped in some internal monologue instead of actually reading the book in my lap. At any rate, I can say already that Half Broke Horses is great and well worth the detour. I highly recommend it (I'm particularly looking at you, Cousin Amy), but you should read Walls' memoir, The Glass Castle, first.

1 comment:

  1. Duly Noted. I will write those down on my to-read list. Oh and by the way, "The Lost Symbol" was intriguing. Currently going to read, "The Anthropology of Turquoise."

    ReplyDelete