Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie

#6/2012:

A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie wrote several novels that were based off of children's nursery rhymes: And Then There Were None, One, Two, Buckle My Shoe, Five Little Pigs, Mrs. McGinty's Dead, and Hickory Dickory Dock. In A Pocket Full of Rye, the "king" of a dysfunctional family, Rex Fortescue, is found dead in his office at a "counting house" with a a handful of rye seeds in his pocket, and the deaths of his queen and the maid follow right along with the poem, "Sing a Song of Sixpence." Which member of the family seems the most likely to be crazy enough to carry out such a plan? I love a Miss Marple mystery, so I was glad to see her when she showed up. This one was nothing particularly special, but it's a solid plot with all the usual suspects.

I can't move on the next book in line, Destination Unknown, until I order it. I thought I already had a copy of it, but it turns out that I didn't, and since it was recently republished, it wasn't even available for purchase until last week. Kind of unusual for a book that was written in 1954! I do have a few other things to read in the meantime. I'm actually just finished with Robert B. Parker's God Save the Child, from the Spenser for Hire series, so I'll get that written up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment