Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

I read some mixed reviews of the movie version of Shutter Island and it hasn't seemed to really take over the box office, which completely surprises me now that I've read the book. The film reviews complained that Scorcese tried to cram too many different styles (cop drama, horror, mystery, thriller, noir) into one film with poor results. I would say that's also what Lehane's book does, but I liked the results very much (so did Mike). The book seems perfect for making into a movie and it's not like Scorcese is a hack. I don't know, I still haven't seen the movie, but the book is worth reading.

Lehane is the author of Mystic River and Gone, Baby, Gone, so you can guess that Shutter Island involves cops and murdered kids and is set in Boston. Beyond that, you really should just read the book. I'm sure you've seen the film preview, so that's about all that can be given away. Some friends said they figured it all out early on, and I did have some idea of how it would play out about half way in, but the twists and turns were still worth it to me to keep reading. And some of the twists were still a surprise to me. Shutter Island won't change your understanding of human existence or make you a better person, but it's fun and spooky, so don't take yourself so seriously. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment