Monday, January 24, 2011

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

#3/2011:


The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

Alex and Jasmin gave me this book for Christmas, and I was really looking forward to reading it since I had enjoyed The Lovely Bones. This book is probably even more shocking and emotionally challenging than that one was. The main character kills her mother right there in the very first sentence of the book! The rest of the book is just the 24 hours following the murder combined with a series of flashbacks and remembrances that tell the story of a very complicated mother-daughter-father relationship.

On the back cover of my copy is a quote from a book reviewer at the Philadelphia Inquirer which kept running through my mind as I was reading because I think it really captures the feel of the book: "Alice Sebold may be our true heiress to Edgar Allan Poe [Sebold actually references Poe at one point in the book], a novelist who dares to write honestly about the banality of violence, and about how it lives next door to normalcy, in a mist."

No comments:

Post a Comment